Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Thanksgiving Prep.

It's no secret that Christmas is my favorite holiday. I love the decorations, the baked goods, and being able to use the word "festive" constantly sans judgment.

My spirit animal.
But first up is my second favorite holiday, Thanksgiving! This year is extra special because for the first time, because Adam and I are hosting the Big Dinner for about 14 of our family members. I'm a little nervous, to be honest. I don't even own a roasting pan yet, we have dining room seating for 8, tops, and I've never cooked a 20-pound bird in my life.
True to form, I came up with our extremely innovative fairly standard Thanksgiving dinner menu about a month ago. Here it is:

Appetizers
Vegetable Crudite (learned that word while wedding planning - score)
Cheese and Bread Plate

Main Course
Roasted Turkey with Homemade Gravy
Red Mashed Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Stovetop Stuffing
Mom-Mom Sheckell's Carrots*
Dinner Rolls

Dessert
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie

*Secret family recipe. The recipe is: add sugar. 

Mmmm my mouth is watering already. Luckily our moms are helping us with some of the dishes, so it should be pretty manageable! That is, assuming I remember to take the turkey out of the freezer on Sunday...

We all know how this ends.
What are your Thanksgiving plans? 

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's just a fancy word for a veggie platter and dip! It's pronounced "crude-it-tay" not "crude-ite". My mom was kind enough to let me know that I was pronouncing it wrong BEFORE we went to a meeting with the caterer, thank goodness.

      Delete